We partnered to develop and build the largest wind farms in Kansas and Pennsylvania, along with wind facilities in Colorado, Nebraska, Indiana and Hawaii. Together, these facilities generate 1,157 megawatts (MW) of clean energy.
Our dedication to collaborating with our customers and partners to identify and deliver clean energy remains the foundation of our organization. We are an equal partner in five operating wind farms that are collectively capable of generating more clean energy for roughly 325,000 homes. We have committed to building an additional 1,000 MW of solar and wind capacity over the next five years and will remain focused on addressing the energy needs of today and tomorrow.
*50 percent owner with BP Wind
An Example of Our Expertise in Action
In 2013, Sempra U.S. Gas & Power completed the development and construction of an 8 turbine wind farm to produce enough clean, locally sourced power to power 10,000 Maui homes. During the initiative, our team collaborated closely with our partners, the local community, and the landowner to deliver clean energy innovation while preserving our commitments to the environment and local communities.
- Completed the project on time, on budget, and safely
- Partnered with the local utility in Maui to build a cutting edge battery unit that stores 10MW of power and helps stabilize the grid to improve the reliability of energy delivery
- Utilized permanent magnet generator technology, leading to more than 50% fewer moving parts and an improvement in reliability and maintenance ease
- Honored local traditions and environmental concerns by preserving native endangered plant and animal species and archaeological features
- Created 180 construction jobs
- Invested in local educational initiatives to support the education of local students regarding wind power technology
To learn more about wind energy generation click here.