WIND | In Operation
Flat Ridge 2
- Location: Near Wichita, KS
- Capacity: 470 MW
- Homes Powered: About 125,000
- Completed: Late 2012
- Customer: Associated Electric Cooperative, Inc., Southwestern Electric Power Co.
- Download Fact Sheet
The Flat Ridge 2 wind farm is located in a wind-rich region near Wichita, Kansas. Jointly owned by Sempra U.S. Gas & Power and BP Wind Energy, the 470-megawatt (MW) project is currently the largest single-phase wind farm in the state of Kansas. Spread across 66,000 acres, Flat Ridge 2 utilizes 294 wind turbines to generate enough electricity to power 140,000 homes.
The project created 500 jobs at peak, along with 30 additional positions to operate the facility. It also provides more than $1 million to local communities on an annual basis.
The entire power output from Flat Ridge 2 is sold under long-term contracts to Associated Electric Cooperative, Inc., Southwestern Electric Power Company, a unit of American Electric Power, and Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corporation.
- Creates about 500 construction jobs at peak and 30 positions to operate the facility
- Generates a new source of affordable electricity for consumers
- Provides more than $1 million to local communities on an annual basis
- Economic benefits include new sources of revenue for local land owners without disrupting farming and ranching operations