As a top solar developer, our team pioneered the expansion of utility-scale solar, completing some of the largest photovoltaic (PV) solar plants ever built in the U.S.
- (1) 660 MW are jointly owned with Consolidated Edison Development
An Example of Our Expertise in Action
In 2012, Sempra U.S. Gas & Power completed the construction of a 150-megawatt (MW) facility just west of Phoenix, Arizona. The 830,000 solar panels at that jointly-owned facility generate enough clean energy to power 56,000 homes. Mesquite Solar 1 is the first phase in a multi-phase project, which has a total potential capacity of 700 MW. During construction, our team collaborated closely with our partners and the local community to deliver clean energy while preserving our commitments to the environment and the people we serve.
- Completed the project on time, on budget, and with a zero lost time incident record
- Lowered operating costs, improved reliability, and maximized energy production and efficiency by being among the first utility-scale solar installations in the country to use liquid-cooled inverter technology
- Improved response time to system requirements by developing a customized and centralized plant control system for the operations team
- Received Renewable Top Plant Award from Power Magazine
- Preserved the environment by building on previously developed land near existing power plants and transmission lines
- Reduced greenhouse gases by about 190 tons annually, the equivalent of taking 33,000 cars off the road
- Created 500 local construction jobs and 12 long-term positions
- Created the Mesquite Power Wildlife Oasis in the Arizona desert, a 40-acre wildlife preserve that is home to 50 plant and animal species, which is utilized as a hands-on learning environment for local school children