SOLAR | In Development
- Location: Rosamond, CA
- Capacity: Up to 300 MW
- Completed: 2015 (estimated)
- Customer: California utilities
Rosamond Solar is one of Sempra U.S. Gas & Power’s newest clean energy projects. Located in the High Desert, 90 miles north of Los Angeles in Rosamond, California, the photovoltaic (PV) solar plant benefits from being in a region with 275 days of intense sunshine each year, flat terrain and proximity to major transmission lines. Rosamond Solar could produce up to 300 megawatts (MW) of clean, renewable energy for California homes and businesses.
The Kern County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved Rosamond Solar in late 2010 following an extensive review. Construction on the solar project is expected to begin in 2014, creating hundreds of new jobs and providing a boost to the local economy.
- Creates about 300 local construction jobs and eight positions to operate the facility
- Located on private, previously disturbed agricultural lands near existing transmission lines
- Utilizes solar panel technology that doesn't require water to generate electricity, saving this precious resource for other uses
- Produces a new supply of clean electricity for California consumers
- Provides increased business for local contractors and vendors over the life of the facility