SOLAR | In Construction
Copper Mountain Solar 3
- Location: Boulder City, NV
- Capacity: Up to 250 MW
- Homes Powered: About 80,000
- Completed: mid-2015
- Customer: Southern California Public Power Authority
- Download Fact Sheet
Copper Mountain Solar 3 is jointly owned by Sempra U.S. Gas & Power and Consolidated Edison Development. It is the third phase of the landmark Copper Mountain Solar complex, currently one of the largest photovoltaic (PV) solar facilities in the U.S. Situated on about 1,400 acres of land, Copper Mountain Solar 3 will tap into the intense desert sun in Boulder City, Nevada to produce clean energy and a stronger local economy.
Construction on the 250-megawatt (MW) solar project began in 2013, and created about 500 construction jobs at peak and four positions to operate the facility.
The facility is expected to be commercially operational and capable of generating enough electricity to power about 80,000 homes by mid-2015. Power from the facility is sold to the Southern California Public Power Authority.
- Creates about 300 construction jobs at peak and four full-time positions
- Generates new revenues for state and local governments
- Located near existing power plants and transmission lines
- Requires no water to generate electricity
- Produces a new source of clean, emission-free electricity