SOLAR | In Operation
Copper Mountain Solar 2
- Location: Boulder City, NV
- Capacity: 150 MW
- Homes Powered: About 45,000
- Completed: 2013 (92 MW)
- Completed: 2015 (58 MW)
- Customer: Pacific Gas & Electric
- Download Fact Sheet
Sempra U.S. Gas & Power's Copper Mountain Solar complex in Boulder City, Nevada is currently one of the largest photovoltaic (PV) solar facilities in the U.S. And now the recently completed 92-megawatt (MW) first phase expansion of this landmark solar installation called Copper Mountain Solar 2 further solidifies Sempra U.S. Gas & Power and Boulder City as sustainable energy leaders. Copper Mountain Solar 2 is jointly owned by Sempra U.S. Gas & Power and Consolidated Edison Development.
Construction on the 1,100-acre site began in late 2011, creating about 628 construction jobs at peak and eight positions to operate the facility. Power generated at the 150-megawatt (MW) solar plant is sold to Pacific Gas & Electric under a 25-year contract. The 92-MW first phase of the project was completed in late 2012, with the remaining 58 MW expected to be completed by 2015. When the second phase is finished, Copper Mountain Solar 2 will be capable of generating enough clean electricity to power about 45,000 homes.
- Creates about 628 construction jobs at peak, and seven full-time positions
- Located near existing power plants and transmission lines
- Requires no water to generate electricity
- Produces a new source of clean, emission-free electricity