SOLAR | In Operation
Copper Mountain Solar 2
- Location: Boulder City, NV
- Capacity: 150 MW
- Homes Powered: About 45,000
- Completed: Late 2012 (92 MW)
- Completed: 2015 (58 MW)
- Customer: Pacific Gas & Electric
- Download Fact Sheet
Copper Mountain Solar 2 is jointly owned by Sempra U.S. Gas & Power and Consolidated Edison Development. It is an expansion of the Copper Mountain Solar complex, currently one of the largest photovoltaic (PV) solar facilities in the U.S. The first 92 megawatts (MW) of solar panels were completed in late 2012, and the remaining 58 MW were completed in 2015.
Construction on the first phase of Copper Mountain Solar 2 began in December 2011, creating about 650 construction jobs at peak. Approximately 540 additional construction jobs were created at peak for the second phase, as well as seven new positions to operate the facility. Copper Mountain Solar 2 is capable of generating enough clean electricity to power about 45,000 homes. Power generated at the 150-MW solar plant is sold to Pacific Gas & Electric under a 25-year contract.
- Created about 1,200 construction jobs at peak (for both phases combined), along with seven full-time positions
- Located near existing power plants and transmission lines
- Requires no water to generate electricity
- Produces a new source of clean, emission-free electricity