SOLAR | In Operation
Copper Mountain Solar 2
- Location: Boulder City, NV
- Capacity: 150 MW
- Homes Powered: About 45,000
- Completed: 2013 (92 MW)
- Completed: 2015 (58 MW)
- Customer: Pacific Gas & Electric
- Download Fact Sheet
Copper Mountain Solar 2 is jointly owned by Sempra U.S. Gas & Power and Consolidated Edison Development. It is an expansion of the Copper Mountain Solar complex, currently one of the largest photovoltaic (PV) solar facilities in the U.S. The 92-megawatt (MW) first phase of the project is complete, with the 58-MW second phase scheduled to be commercially operational by mid-2015.
Construction on the first phase of Copper Mountain Solar 2 began in December 2011, creating about 650 construction jobs at peak. Approximately 540 additional construction jobs were created at peak for the second phase, as well as seven new positions to operate the facility. When the second phase is commercially operational, Copper Mountain Solar 2 will be capable of generating enough clean electricity to power about 45,000 homes. Power generated at the 150-MW solar plant is sold to Pacific Gas & Electric under a 25-year contract.
- Created about 1,200 construction jobs at peak (for both phases combined), along with seven full-time positions
- Located near existing power plants and transmission lines
- Requires no water to generate electricity
- Produces a new source of clean, emission-free electricity