SOLAR | In Operation
Copper Mountain Solar 2
- Location: Boulder City, NV
- Capacity: 150 MW
- Homes Powered: About 45,000
- Completed: 2013 (92 MW)
- Completed: 2015 (58 MW)
- Customer: Pacific Gas & Electric
- Download Fact Sheet
Sempra U.S. Gas & Power’s Copper Mountain Solar complex in Boulder City, Nevada is currently one of the largest photovoltaic (PV) solar plants in the U.S. And now a recently completed first phase expansion of this landmark solar installation, called Copper Mountain Solar 2, further solidifies Sempra U.S. Gas & Power and Boulder City as sustainable energy leaders. Copper Mountain Solar 2 is a joint venture of Sempra U.S. Gas & Power and Consolidated Edison Development.
Construction on the 1,100-acre site began in late 2011, creating about 175 construction jobs on average and eight positions to operate the facility. Power generated at the 150-megawatt (MW) solar plant is sold to Pacific Gas & Electric under a 25-year contract. The first 92 MW of solar panels at Copper Mountain Solar 2 were installed in late 2013, with the remaining 58 MW expected to be completed by 2015. When the second phase is finished, the solar plant will be capable of generating enough clean electricity to power about 45,000 homes.
- Creates about 175 construction jobs on average, and eight full-time positions
- Located near existing power plants and transmission lines
- Requires no water to generate electricity
- Produces a new source of clean, emission-free electricity